This is part 2 in our series on the church.
In the NT, church can be used to define a group of believers at any level.
- House church – Romans 16:5, 1 Cor. 16:19
- The church in a city – 1 Cor. 1:2, 2 Cor. 1:1, 1 Thess. 1:1
- The church in a region – Acts 9:31
- The church in the entire world – Ephesians 5:25
The community of believers at any level can rightly be called a church.
Louie Giglio said, “The primary reason the local church exists is for the glory of God and to make his glory known throughout the universe.”
The local church exists for people. Matthew 5:14-16, Matthew 28:18-20, John 17:18, John 20:21
After you are filled by the preaching of the Word – we all scatter as missionaries to fulfill the Great Commission.
The local church exists for the city. Acts 17:26-27
The local church exists for believers. Upon salvation the Holy Spirit dwells in all believers. The Holy Spirit then makes you a part of the Body of Christ, a community of the Holy Spirit – Acts 2:41-47. This shows that God’s power is seen from miracles, signs and wonders, fellowship, sharing of one’s possessions and sacrificially giving.
- The church is a new temple built on the cornerstone of Christ. 1 Peter 2
- The church is the bride of Christ. Eph. 5
- The church is the body of Christ. 1 Cor. 12
- Christ is the head of the church. Eph. 4:15-16
The church is gospel centered. It’s all about Jesus! 1 Cor. 15:1-7
Mark Driscoll said, “The importance of the cross to the church is that apart from Jesus’ death on it in our place for our sins – the church does not exist and has no good news to tell.”
The pure preaching of the Word:
At FaithPoint, we are passionate about the preaching of the Bible. The Bible is God’s Word and the preacher is the herald. Nothing else is more important. All other ministries and programs pale in comparison to the passionate proclamation of God’s Holy Word.
The church is led, guided, and unified by the Holy Spirit. The early church father Irenaesus said, “Where the church is, there the Spirit of God is and where the Spirit of God is, there is the church.”
Driscoll also came up with eight things that a church is characterized by. They are:
- Regenerated church membership
- Qualified leadership
- Preaching and worship
- Rightly administered sacraments
- Spirit unity
- The Great Commandment to love
- The Great Commission to evangelize and make disciples
The church is not a building. The church is not a denomination.