The preacher walked into the kitchen and opened his Bible. He turned on his laptop, ready to begin preparing the sermon that he was to deliver on Sunday. He pours himself a cup of coffee as his mind races through thoughts that have seemed to plague him for months.
The notes from this sermon are for your personal Bible study. The sermon title is God is God and You Are Not.
- The conquering of nations by Alexander the Great
- The rule of the Roman Empire
- The US won WWI and WWII
- The fall of the Berlin Wall
- The rise and fall of a country’s economic system
- How long a person will live.
- When a person is born, where they grow up, where they will go to school and work, who they will marry or if they will get married, have children, where they will die – all determined by God.
- It is not by accident that you were born when you were born. If God wanted to, He could have made you Jewish and persecuted by Saul. He could have had you alive in during the 1500s and John Calvin could have been your pastor. He could have allowed you to live in England when Charles Spurgeon was alive. You could have been the first martyr in history for sharing the gospel. However, God wanted you here, in this city, in this century for the works that He predestined you to accomplish.
Worship. Most people believe that worship is a time in the Sunday service where you stand up and sing songs. Some churches sing traditional songs and hymns. Some churches sing contemporary and some churches mix it up. There is no right or wrong style. There is nothing wrong with hymns or praise music as long as it points to Jesus.
I have heard that this is Lecrae’s best album to date. I cannot wait to get this album. I am sure it is going to be amazing.
- Every church should be a church planting church. If the church cannot plant a new church by themselves then perhaps the option to partner with another church would be available. If this is not possible, they may try opening their building for a church plant to use until the can find their own meeting space.
- When a church cares more about its fame and glory then the Great Commission, they have misplaced their focus. It is about Jesus and his fame, and his name, and his glory.
- When a church becomes more about itself, it loses its effectiveness at reaching lost people.
- When a church ceases to reach out to lost people they are failing to be obedient to Scripture.
TO ENJOY GOD IS TO GLORIFY HIM
Relationship > God desires relationship w/us
God desires fellowship with us.
God loves us the way a father loves his son.
Any man can be a father. It takes a special man to be a daddy.
We are far too easily satisfied.
We find satisfaction in temporal things. Coffee, food, tech, sex, money….
Philippians 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord.
We have weakened the meaning of words such as love, cherish, and treasure.
We attribute value to created things rather than the Creator. We take pleasure in things we can see instead of the One that we cannot see.
Do you understand why we are called sheep?
We will follow anything or rebel against what authority we do have.
We leave the flock to seek greener pastures. A sheep without a Shepherd might as well be dead.
*Taken from the book Scouting the Divine
Our awe and wonder is misplaced. We are too easily amazed.
Lexus parallel parks itself
See what I mean?
It is quite alright to enjoy God.
To not enjoy God is to dishonor Him. To not enjoy God is to tell God that you have found something more desirable than Him.
What you cherish, treasure, makes you happiest is what you worship.
Drown in Christ
Feast on Scripture
When God truly becomes your desire,
You will find pleasure in Him more than created things.
You will find pleasure living out Scripture
You will find pleasure serving Him as His called disciple.
When God truly becomes your desire –
Your manner of life will be worthy of the Gospel of Christ. Phil. 1:27
Christ will truly be your life – Colossians 3:4
You live by the Spirit – Romans 5:8